On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Herr Alexander Heintz via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Absolutely.
> I exclusively use object fields for additional data and storage of
> connected information to a specific data row, such as record and field
> history, specific item settings etc.
> All of these will NOT be queried on.
> There are cases where I use object fields for variable data structures,
> but limit this to basic 1-level objects that can be queried rapidly.
> Also bear in mind, that accessing data embedded in objects is far more
> complicated (for example for mass editing) than using a related table. It
> might sound like an intriguing concept to store, say keywords, in an object
> array, but even if these were quick to query, modifying a bunch a of
> keywords is far more complicated when they are stored in objects than just
> using an APPLY TO SELECTION for a „normal“ related table.
> Just my 2 ct, your mileage may vary

I am playing with idea to use object for values that are used only for
display / searching. I have structures with tables with tens of such fields
- mostly comments, flags or user defined fields. This would simplify
structure a bit. It would be nice if 4D provided some simple way how to
export / print values from objects (like supporting dot notation in source
field property.)

--

Peter Bozek