There are plenty more variables to consider that could make a huge difference
in performance. If the table is large (say 20 million records) and the
selection size is above a certain size (roughly 15,000 records), DISTINCT
VALUES is very slow for b-tree indexed fields. I'm seeing times over 10 seconds
in single user mode. 4D has to load a lot of index pages. Does not seem to be a
problem for cluster b-tree indexed fields.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.