Peter,
This is easy to do with local arrays and dynamic variables. It looks like
you only need to build text arrays. You can declare a local array, ARRAY
TEXT($aText2d;0;0). Then you can resize this to add more 'columns' as
needed and populate them.

Next you need to populate the listbox. First delete all the existing
columns (if any) then insert the number of columns you need. To use dynamic
vars you pass Nil for the column and header vars. Let's say you need 4
columns, it looks like this:

LISTBOX DELETE COLUMNS(*;"listboxName";1;LISTBOX GET NUMBER
COLUMNS(*;"listboxName"))

C_POINTER($nil)

For($j;1;4)

LISTBOX INSERT COLUMN (*;"listboxName"; $j; "col_"+string($j); $nil;
"hdr_"+string($j); $nil)

$colPtr:=object get pointer(Object named;"col_"+string($j))  //  now 4D has
created a variable for the column and we can get its pointer

COPY ARRAY($aText2d{$j};$colPtr->)  //  and copy the data to that array

End for

​Even if you need mixed data types I'd still use text arrays for handling
the display and user interface and do the data conversion on in the
background. You can use the same approach with different types of arrays
but it's a lot more work whereas converting to and from text is easy. ​And
this works complied.

​oes that make sense? ​Do I get your need correctly?

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*