I agree with your taste:-) In fact, we originally used alternate color that
looks really good and I love it. This is the case in "most" scenario except
those contains so many columns and rows in a limited sized LB. This would make
it so cramped.
Finally, we have 2 desgins - one with alternate color for LB with only few
columns or the LB could be spared with more space on screen, mostly in
accounting module. The rest stay with non-alternate-color approach.

The conclusion are result of votes from our engineers and a few of our major
clients. Afterall, we are company of democracy ..... except on pricing:-)

Alan Chan