​
​​
enneth, sounds to me like you are on the right path. Much of it depends on
the sheer volume of documents. As some pointed out, a vast number of
documents in a single folder can bog down OS storage systems, although that
is way less a problem now than it was several years ago. Much also depends
on why you are storing them and what you have to do with them later. It
might come in handy to store the doc type, in case you need to call a
specific routine (or sub-launch a special app or whatever) in order to view
it directly. Also, I've found over the years that one can easily create all
kinds of workable routines for the computer (4D) to store and retrieve
documents, but invariably one will find that there is a need for a human to
go through those folders trying to find a specific document, so I try now
to make my storage folder mechanism and file naming conventions somewhat
human understandable, or at least logically understandable within the scope
of the application's world in case something comes up and a human has to
dig through that repository. Another important consideration is how
redundant or robust your storage needs to be. Depending on volume, I'm a
huge fan of storing raw source documents in AWS S3 buckets. One of our
projects is digitizing, indexing, and providing access to county courthouse
documents in both tiff and pdf format. Millions and millions and millions
and many many terabytes of documents that are indexed to 4D fields so users
can search/sort/report normal 4D digital records and/or then download the
actual digital disk document(s). We quickly ran out of disk space in normal
office and enterprise hard drive environments, especially with duplicate
backups in geo diverse locations since we can't afford to lose that many
documents. AWS cloud storage was the answer for us (but similar to most of
the large cloud storage systems). There are lots of ways to access cloud
buckets, depending on who you go with, but we chose a "Cloudberry Drive"
solution (cloudberrylab.com) so that AWS buckets become available locally
as familiar network mounted drives (and they work with all the large cloud
vendors); document access and manipulation works as if you are in a local
lan type world - but with unlimited storage capacity. Surprisingly fast and
efficient and cost effective. As for our document naming and placing
routines, we obviously start the folder hierarchy with the "county name".
Over time we've worked out a storage system that is well suited to this
courthouse world based on the year, the month, and the day of the filing
date for each document, combined with the county clerk's "instrument
number" or in some counties the vol/page nomenclature they use. Fairly
universal stuff in the court system vertical market, but probably not so
meaningful in yours. Nonetheless, the naming and folder hierarchy logic is
an important element to get right at the beginning.
Steve Simpson
​Cimarron Software

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 1:24 PM,
​​