Mitchell Shiller:

> 4D Server 16.2
> Mac OS  10.13.2 running on a MacMini (Late 2014) 8GB RAM
> External RAID 0+1 Samsung SSD. Using SoftRaid XT
>
> Only applications running are:
> 4D Server (no stored procedures), 15 users
> Carbon Copy Cloner 5.05 (latest) scheduled to run every hour except from
> 22:00 - 6:00 when there are no users logged in)
> Retrospect Client (14.6.0.127 latest) (which backs up a second attached drive
> that contains the 4D backup files at 23:00)
>
> I have been having  intermittent system crashes. These happen every 2-5
> days.. Never when the system is in use. (8-21:00) Usually  early in the
> morning long after Retrospect has run. Retrospect Client takes about 15-30 to
> back up to our main Server.
> I get the spinning beach ball of death. So it is not just a 4D crash.
> Nothing is responsive. The computer requires a hard reboot to get going again
> and then I am fine for 2-5 days.
> Usually no users are logged in at the time.
>
> In the console I get the following information from the most recent 2 crashes;
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2xejz2dehwqf3wu/AADcablM2L7vzu8uLRxY0-Hxa?dl=0
>
> I have tested the disk integrity, RAM integrity. All OK. I changed to a new
> computer with no change.
> The previous computer was running 10.12
> I contacted the SoftRaid support who downloaded  a crash report and stated
> that the crash is not happening with a disk access to the RAID system.
>

> Any idea what the next step should be?

Hi Mitchell,

we had almost the same problem over here with the same hard- and software
(minus the raid. Just a mini with High Sierra).
It was not the beachball of death but 4D Server just crashed every few days
without any pattern (sometimes at night, sometimes during the day).
We tried everything to no avail.
What finally worked was to go back to El Capitan on the Server.
From then on we had no more crashes (you could try Sierra, maybe that would
work too).
Must be some incompatibility of 4D V16 with High Sierra.

Greetings from Germany,
Bernd Fröhlich