Hi David,
Tim's suggestion of using SET PAGE CONTENT is a good one. I've noticed it's
not great if your page is using jquery or other resources loaded from a CDN
or even other disk files. My guess is a web area loaded by SET PAGE CONTENT
doesn't have any context to reference the disk files. Where would it look,
for instance, for "./my.css"? The web server has a defined root but a web
area doesn't unless it loads from disk. My best success has been when the
page has all its resources in the html. Which can be a little limiting.

I use, and love, web areas. Several of the primary forms in a heavily used
database rely on them. My approach is to collect the data to be displayed
into arrays and then use PROCESS TAGS with html templates to build the
actual html. In Resources is the folder with the html templates, support
files (css, js, etc.) and a temp dir I write to. I give this file a name
made up of the record id and table so the form 'knows' where and what to
look for.

To deal with the html file saturation problem I added a method to start up
to simply clear out the temp folder. It's rare for the temp folder to have
more than a few dozen files and they are small.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:51 PM, David Garrard via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> I am trying to control the content displayed in a 4D Web Area on a form and
> I am forced to use external HTML documents to do this along with WA OPEN
> URL
> passing a file path.  This works fine, but means I need to maintain 10's of
> thousands of external html files just to do this.
>

> It seems to me that this would be a very common use case:   code some HTML
> into a text variable and then use  WA OPEN URL with a new capability to
> pass
> a variable or field to this command.  Or perhaps a new command WA OPEN
> TEXT.
>

> Is this something that others have able to work around more elegantly?
>

> Thanks,
>
> David

> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

*We go vote - they go home*