OK I guess I knew that but what happens if you never do a backup (We will
not be backing up the master data file any longer. Are You?) to numbers in
second part, when the last one is Datafile[0004-9999].journal

Regards

Chuck

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> On May 15, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Charles Miller wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your update. I assume you have a process on mirror that runs
> and
> > delays itself for x amount of time. What happens if you try and create a
> > second log but first has not been integrated. What do you do? Would you
> > mind sharing code. I know it should be pretty simple, but I always would
> > prefer not to re-invent the wheel. If so, can you email me privately.
>
> Journal files that get created by the “New log file” command are
> automatically named with a unique name. The name has the sequence number in
> it. Example: Datafile[0004-0034].journal.
>
> The first number between square brackets is related to the backup number.
> Each time you do a BACKUP the first number get’s incremented. The second
> number gets incremented with each call to “New log file”.
>
> > What my plan is to get a directory listing and then sort by date created
>
> It is not necessary to sort by create date. The journal files names are
> designed and formatted so that you can sort by file name and always get the
> oldest journal files first.
>
> Create date can also be problematic because if you copy a group of files
> from one server to another. Sometimes the create date and modify dates of
> files get changed. Sometime not. I’ve not figured out exactly what triggers
> this sometimes change to file creation/modification dates when coping
> between machines.
>
> No need to over complicate things. 4D designed the log file/mirroring
> system so that you can rely on journal file names for sequencing and to
> ensure uniqueness.
>
> Tim

> Tim Nevels
> Innovative Solutions
> 785-749-3444
> timnev...@mac.com

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
          http://www.informed-solutions.com
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.