Hi Alan,

If you have the table number, you can loop over the fields of that table and
compare the name to the given name to get the field number and thus the field
pointer.

Something like:

//$foundtable is the table number
//if pointer given, $foundtable := Table($tablepointer)

For ($i;1;Get last field number($foundtable))
        If (Is field number valid($foundtable;$i))
                If ($fieldname=Field name($foundtable;$i))
                        $foundfield:=$i//found it
                        $i:=Get last field number($foundtable)+1//jump out of
loop
                End if
        End if
End for

$ptr:=Field($foundtable;$foundfield)//get the pointer

HTH
Koen