Chuck,

Backup are not really required when mirroring is setup and working
correctly. Monitor if mirroring fails for any reason...restart from square
one. Mirror is your back up. If you want to BACKUP on mirror 4D will wait
until Integrate log process is finished before starting Back up process and
visa versa. If you want to be extra safe yeah do semaphore based process
locking via code.

Regards
Balinder