On Jul 9, 2018, at 6:24 PM, Chip Scheide wrote:

> when (re)opening a database all windows previously opened in the design
> environment are closed.
> what did I do, and how do I get 4D to leave all the design windows open?

Hi Chip,

I can think of 3 things:

1) Remember that if the Option key is down when you are entering Design —
however you cause that to happen — will open with no windows. This was a very
long-time-ago fix for when you had a corrupt method or form open. Going into
Design it would try to open the corrupt method or form and that would cause 4D
to crash. So to get around this you held down the Option key so that you could
get into Design and not crash. Then, if you were lucky, you could delete the
corrupted item and continue life.

Classic example: You have an invisible button on a form that has the “Standard
Action” of “Design”. You assign a keyboard shortcut to the button of
"Command-Option-Y". So to drop into Design when the form is displayed you just
press Command-Option-Y. Notice that option key.

I had to change the shortcut on my 4D applications to Command-Shift-Y to avoid
the problem of no windows open in Design. I couldn’t press Command-Option-Y and
release the Option key before it got to Design and closed all my previously
opened windows.

2) 4D stores in the .4DB file the open windows and their location in Design for
each 4D user. They are not stored in a “prefs” text files on disk somewhere. I
know this because I work on a project with multiple developers and we all
connect to 4D Server with our own 4D user account. Everyone gets their Design
environment open windows preserved when doing 4D Server Team Developer work. If
I get a copy of the .4DB file and put it to my local machine and open it and
drop into Design, all my windows reappear.

So it could be structure file damage. Maybe MSC repair on the structure file
will fix the problem.

3) If you crash, or something goes wrong when you quit 4D, it will not save the
open window in Design information.

Tim

Tim Nevels
timnev...@mac.com <mailto:timnev...@mac.com>