Pat,
i'm not sure about what happens when using FTP, however,
if you can specify the final file name you can/should filter the file
name to remove the gibberish.

On a Mac there are only a very few characters which are not 'legal',
Windows on the other hand.. it is probably easier to specify which
characters ARE legal  :)

if you pull my component Fileutl there is code in there to filter
filenames, as part of 4D code to manipulate files.  The components are
v13 built/compiled.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqcx274fsybxccp/AADi5PXMhpawdCTCzF5sGWvDa?dl=0

Chip

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 12:21:18 +0100, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech wrote:
> using v17r2:
>
> I get a list of files in a directory on a remote server with
> *FTP_GetDirList.*
> Then I loop through the list and download each file, if I don't already
> have the latest version of it.
> A problem occurs when a filename contains a character such as a quote mark,
> copyright symbol, etc. Whilst these filenames look correct when viewed via
> an ftp program such as FileZilla, I get an error when trying to download
> them because it doesn't like those codes - e.g.
>
> 250-Bay Bulls 2-Gatherall’s Puffin & Whale Watch Cruise.jpg.
>
> instead of
> 250-Bay Bulls 2-Gatherall's Puffin & Whale Watch Cruise.jpg.
> How to deal with this?
>
> Thanks
> Pat
>
> --