> On Aug 16, 2018, at 9:01 AM, Allan Udy  wrote:
>
> After recently upgrading one of our vertical market apps to v16R6 (from
> v14), we're getting reports from several user sites that the (relatively
> simple) PDF reports that they've been emailing to their clients are now
> failing on a more regular basis.
>
> Failure consists of:
>
> a) attached PDFs not actually appearing at the email destination, or
>
> b) some of the attached PDFs that do arrive are corrupt and are unreadable.
>
> At this stage there seems to be a mix of both Win 7/8 clients using PDF
> Creator, and Win 10 clients using the built-in pdf writer (our software
> auto switches depending on the OS).
>
> We know that there are SMTP Server, spam filter and ISP issues at work
> (as there always have been), and we're working through this trying to
> get more info, but it would be useful to know if anyone else noticed the
> appearance of more problems with PDFs under v16 compared with earlier
> versions?

I recently got bitten by a rather obscure Windows 10 bug relating to the built
in "Microsoft Print to PDF” driver. Where in the past using 4D and PDF Creator
printer driver to produce PDFs works without issues, sometime PDF would be
produced using Windows 10 and "Microsoft Print to PDF” would not open. Reported
they were corrupt. The file size looked about right, but they would open.

I worked for hours trying to track this down. I tried a shorter file path, that
didn’t help. I switch to PDF Creator, that worked but the client really wanted
to use Microsoft Print to PDF and not have to deal with PDF Creator (and I
wanted that too). Finally I tried a different file name, “test.pdf” and it
worked.

The issue is that if there is a comma “,” in the file name or file path when
using Windows 10 and Microsoft Print to PDF the resulting PDF will be created
but corrupt, or will not be created at all. Yeah… how’s that for a kick in the
teeth. Comma in a file name makes it go crazy.

Go see for yourself and Google "windows pdf driver and comma in filename”.
There are many people finding this and going crazy.

In my particular situation the client wanted/needed commas in file names and
sometimes in folder names. So the workaround for me was to check for a comma in
the file path for the PDF and if found — and using Microsoft Print to PDF
driver — I create the PDF in a temp directory with a name with no comma, Once
the PDF is created I MOVE DOCUMENT it to the original file path that has the
comma in it. That works!

Thank you Microsoft for wasting 4 hours of my life one day to find and resolve
this bug.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions