You can use the 4D formula editor with the EDIT FORMULA command.

I don't use 4D Write, but I implemented the formula editor for styled text
fields (used to implement a markdown editor).

Editing (by double click) or inserting a formula is something like this:

GET HIGHLIGHT(*;$edName;$start;$end)
Case of
  : ($start=$end)
  : (ST Get content type(*;$edName)=ST Expression type)  //Formula is selected.
    $formula:=ST Get expression(*;$edName)
End case

If ($formula#"")
  $formula:=UI_Formula_editor ($formula)
  If ($formula#"")
    ST INSERT EXPRESSION(*;$edName;$formula;$start;$end)
    HIGHLIGHT TEXT(*;$edName;$start;$start+1)
  End if
End if

John DeSoi, Ph.D.