When deploying a 4D (v17) structure (actually a built Server in this case)
where is the optimal place to store these files? Over the years I’ve seen the
structure stored in numerous places. However, as I’m configuring a new Windows
2016 server to be used exclusively to server 4D Server, I wanted to consider
the optimal location. When I asked 4D TS about this (the answer seemed like
shades of grey) I was told that a root directory off the C drive might be
problematic and that I should consider “Program Files” but that there is tech
note where it says that Program Files is not a good location…. And that the
Desktop or Documents folder could be used but then no other users could see the
structure or launch it. 4D TS will be researching this and will get back to
me—meanwhile I wanted to see what the community had to say on this subject.
BTW: eventually (after testing is complete) this database will be running as a
service.

So, where do you like to store your 4D Server-based database for Mac & Windows?

Thanks,

Robert