Hi

One of my sites contracts out their server maintenance, procurement and general
support to an IT contractor. The contractor is fairly adaptable and I have good
professional relations with them, however I still have to work within certain
“overall parameters”.

One of these is that their 5-user 4D accounts server runs on a VM (Virtual
Machine). When I asked them about an external drive to hold the 4D backups,
they replied “don’t worry, the whole VM gets backed up once per day and the
backup is held on external drives”.

What are the implications of backing up the VM while 4D server is still running
? On the old days this would have been a complete no-no because of un-flushed
caches, locked datafiles and all sorts of issues. Is anybody running this
particular configuration ?

Though I hopefully won’t be visiting the dentist anytime soon, Laurence
Olivier's words to Dustin Hoffman spring to mind…..”is it safe !?”  ;)

regards

Peter