From: 4D_Tech <4d_tech-boun...@lists.4d.com> On Behalf Of Kirk Brooks via
4D_Tech
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 10:19 AM
To: 4D iNug Technical <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
Cc: Kirk Brooks <lists.k...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ListBox - assign pulldown array ?? a la ALPro for Data Entry

Randy,
Here are a couple of methods that are handy working with almost any type of
listbox pre collection based ones.

First is my method for getting the column variable pointers. Greatly simplifies
working with a listbox constructed of dynamic columns. You pass the name of the
listbox and a pointer to a pointer array. The pointer array is populated with
the column vars. Sometimes this is easier than screwing around with the
specific column names to get those pointers. That is useful if you didn't want
to bother with cogent names for the columns in the first place. If the listbox
is in a subform you include the subform name as $3.

// Method: Listbox_get_colVarArray (text; pointer{;text}) // $1 is the listbox
name // $2 is ptr to pointer array // $3 is subform name // Purpose: populate
$2 with colVar pointers

C_TEXT($1)
C_POINTER($2)
C_TEXT($3)
C_POINTER($ptr)

If (Count parameters=3)
$ptr:=OBJECT Get pointer(Object named;$1;$3) Else $ptr:=OBJECT Get
pointer(Object named;$1) End if

ARRAY TEXT($arrColNames;0)
ARRAY TEXT($arrHeaderNames;0)
ARRAY POINTER($arrColVars;0)
ARRAY POINTER($arrHeaderVars;0)
ARRAY BOOLEAN($arrColsVisible;0)
ARRAY POINTER($arrStyles;0)

LISTBOX GET
ARRAYS($ptr->;$arrColNames;$arrHeaderNames;$arrColVars;$arrHeaderVars;$arrColsVisible;$arrStyles)
// --------------------------------------------------------
COPY ARRAY($arrColVars;$2->)

Here is an idea I got from seeing ALP code, is really useful and isn't
supported natively: the selected row index. This dates from v13 and works with
array and selection based listboxes. Turns out to be a really useful tool.

// Method: Listbox_get_selectionIndex (text; pointer)  -> longint // $1 is the
name of the listbox // $2 is pointer to longint array // $0 is number
selections // Purpose: populate longint array with row numbers of selected rows
// for selection based listboxes array is record number & //  $2{0} is table
number

C_TEXT($1)
C_POINTER($2;$LBptr)
C_LONGINT($0)
C_LONGINT($i;$tableNum)
C_TEXT($set;$nameSel)
C_POINTER($id_ptr;$table_ptr)

ARRAY LONGINT($aI;0)

$LBptr:=OBJECT Get pointer(Object named;$1)

Case of
: (Nil($LBptr))

: (Type($LBptr->)=Is longint)//     selection or named selection
LISTBOX GET TABLE SOURCE(*;$1;$tableNum;$nameSel;$set)
$table_ptr:=Table($tableNum)
$id_ptr:=Table_get_idFieldPtr ($table_ptr)//  method returns pointer to key
field of a table

Case of
: (Records in set($set)=0)

: ($nameSel#"")
USE SET($set)

If (Nil($id_ptr))// get record numbers
SELECTION TO ARRAY($table_ptr->;$aI)
Else
SELECTION TO ARRAY($id_ptr->;$aI)
End if

Else // avoid clobbering the current selection FIRST RECORD($table_ptr->)

While (Not(End selection($table_ptr->))) Case of
: (Not(Is in set($set)))
: (Nil($id_ptr))// get record numbers
APPEND TO ARRAY($aI;Record number($table_ptr->)) Else APPEND TO
ARRAY($aI;$id_ptr->) End case

NEXT RECORD($table_ptr->)
End while

End case

$aI{0}:=$tableNum

: (Type($LBptr->)=Boolean array)//  array based LB For ($i;1;Size of
array($LBptr->)) If ($LBptr->{$i}) APPEND TO ARRAY($aI;$i) End if End for

Else
TRACE
End case

// --------------------------------------------------------
COPY ARRAY($aI;$2->)
$0:=Size of array($aI)

For collection based listboxes there are better ways of managing the listbox
and the data.

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 3:58 PM Randy Engle via 4D_Tech < 4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
wrote:

> List has been pretty quiet the last few days.
> Anyone alive out there?
>
> I've been using ALPro vs Listbox exclusively since before Listbox existed.
> As such, I've got extremely limited experience/knowledge of it.
>
> So, I've decided to educate myself so at least I know how to put a
> LISTBOX together.
>
> There is a command in ALPro that allows assigning a popup/pull-down
> array to a column, so the user can click the popup and select from
> some given values for entry into a cell.
>
> e.g.
> associatedMenuPtr:=->at_My_Text_Array
> AL_SetColumnPtrProperty
> ($alpArea;$columnNumber;ALP_Column_PopupArray;$associatedMenuPtr)
>
> I've dug around a lot in LISTBox but have not found a similar
> method/command
>
> Does it exist?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Randy Engle