Hi Arnaud,
Aha. That hadn't even occurred to me. I think that's exactly what I was
looking for. Off the top of my head I think using the On Before Data Entry
for listboxes and On before keystroke for fields.

Thank you!

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Arnaud de Montard via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> > Le 8 févr. 2019 à 17:48, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> a écrit :
> >
> > [...] Is there a way to trap use actions like that so I can block the
> > On timer code from running?
>
> Each new SET TIMER "kills" the previously set one, so it allows to
> postpone or cancel next 'On timer'. For example when the user types into a
> search box, send the query after he has stopped input since one or 2
> seconds.
>
> Maybe something like this in form method could work:
>
> jobPostponed:=60*2  //2 seconds, for example
> case of
>   on keystroke
>     set timer(jobPostponed)
>   on timer
>     set timer(0)
>     job.do(please)
>     set timer(jobPostponed)
> end case
>
> Thinking after, there is surely more events to consider (On click, double
> clic, menu, etc.)
>
> --
> Arnaud de Montard

What can be said, can be said clearly,
and what you can’t say, you should shut up about

*Wittgenstein and the Computer *