Have you checked the property inspector for the drop variable?

In particular are these 2-properties check-marked for the drop variable?
1) “Droppable” in the “Action” theme
2) “On drop” in the “Event” theme

Also, if the “On drop” event code has $0, make sure $0 returns 0 or simply (for
the moment) comment out the $0 line.

Then try dragging to the drop variable. When the pointer is over the drop
variable, does the cursor automatically change to a plus sign?

Something like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/SKb4z3ZL/p01-dropable-mouse-indicator.png