early versions of 4D used forms for multiple purposes:

QUERY BY EXAMPLE
IMPORT TEXT
EXPORT TEXT
MODIFY SELECTION
DISPLAY RECORD
PRINT LABEL

etc.

most things were done using just table forms, with little to no code.

---

now, instead of storing print settings in forms, you can simply use BLOBs

https://doc.4d.com/4Dv17/4D/17.1/Print-settings-to-BLOB.301-4179598.en.html
https://doc.4d.com/4Dv17/4D/17.1/BLOB-to-print-settings.301-4179628.en.html

the BLOB contains standard (driver independent) values such as

DEVMODE and DEVNAMES on Windows
PMPrintSettings and PMPageFormat on Mac

it also stores the printer name and printer specific values,
which is why you may get
1 (the settings are successfully restored) or
2 (the printer names don't match, some model-specific values might be lost)
as result status code.

2019/04/06 4:18、Ben Sokal via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com<mailto:4d_tech@lists.4d.com>>のメール:

A related question: Are particular printer drivers (like PDF Xchange for
example) "linked" to individual forms? Documentation for to-bit printer plugin
we use says: "...you have to integrate a 4D dummy form which stores the
"PDFXChange" printer driver settings...." That is really the source of these
print settings questions.

We've had these forms for years but since we've also had seemingly random pdf
problems, so I am wondering if some of our dummy forms have some bad settings
in them.