I think the future is to use New formula.

it is like a function pointer in other languages,
it allows the callee to invoke a callback function at a later time.

https://blog.4d.com/new-formula-more-power-behind-simplicity/

alternatively, one could say that CALL FORM is like a custom form event.

regarding subforms,
CALL SUBFORM CONTAINER can only convert an event in the subform context
to another event in the host's context,
it does not generate a new event.

2019/04/23 23:32、Chris Belanger via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com<mailto:4d_tech@lists.4d.com>>のメール:

I remember — but cannot find again — some documentation that talked about using
negative-numbered values for events to facilitate custom events. However, I
seem to remember it only was in the context of subforms.