Jeff:

Well, I appreciate you doing the sleuthing and it does appear that this
feature has had a checkered history in OS X.

One of the options was to use the setting from System Prefs. I wasn't
familiar with that so I did some Goolging and, from what I was able to
find, there was a feature in macOS Sierra under the Dock settings. But of
course - a setting to control tabs falls under in Dock category.

I'm using 10.11 and 10.13 and not able to find the setting in those OS's.
Hmm, a bit more digging and, apparently, it's back in the Dock settings in
10.14.
<https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/use-tabs-in-windows-mchla4695cce/mac>

Agreed, it does seem rather strange.

Fortunately, there's a way to toggle it but, given that it was hit and miss
in OS X itself, I wonder how long it will stick around.

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902