Bob,
A project I'm working on has recently found that there can be issues
editing files, especially large files, directly on the server. Microsoft
and Adobe in particular but it seems true of any complex or large file. The
best practice, specifically mentioned by Adobe for one, is to copy the file
from the server to the local drive, makes changes, save it and then copy it
back. I can't tell if this is relevant to this particular case but it might
be.

I like Pat and Chip's points too. There are a lot of things involved in the
scenario you describe.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 5:50 PM Robert McKeever via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> A client reports that Windows did an update last night.
>
> Today, when importing one of the billing extract files (CSV format), he
> get the following error from 4D:
>
> “The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file
> is no longer valid.”
>
> Sometimes the radiologists like to edit the file before importing it (I
> suggest otherwise, but that’s what they like to do). I think the error
> comes from his having edited the file, and left it open in the editing
> program before importing it.
>
> Any other ideas?
> Bob McKeever                      http://www.mswl.com <
> http://www.mswl.com/>
> McKeever's Software Wizardry
> Port Coquitlam, B.C.
> bobmckee...@mac.com

Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

What can be said, can be said clearly,
and what you can’t say, you should shut up about

*Wittgenstein and the Computer *