[JPR]

Hi Jörg,

Kirk is right, the WEDD resource stands for Wedding, and it was just a resource
used to open the proper data file when starting a structure file, there is
nothing mysterious about it. The WEDD resource has been removed in 4D 2004, 15
years ago. It's only use was to mary a 4DB with a 4DD.

And he is also right saying that one man's 'data rescue' is another man's 'data
breach'. As you know, data security is now under the full spotlights. It has
always been an issue for every databases. It has always been possible to open
any computer file (means also the 4D data files) brute force and try to analyse
what's inside. This is why 4D has introduced encryption in V17R5, which is the
only way to secure data.

It's possible to find the structure of any datafile with Data Analyzer, at
least for me, for I wrote it. But, for safety reasons, we have put some
security in it, like not distributing the source code.  Still, you can open any
datafile and get the header information, described in detail in the
documentation. What you cannot get if you have ONLY the .4DD file, is the names
of Tables and Fields, which are save in other files (.4DB, .4DC, and .Match)

But I can tell you that I got many demands for help coming from developers who
have lost the DB password,  or only have a compiled structure, but I NEVER got
any demands coming from a total absence of structure file...

Just to be clear, I told during the Tour that IF you have used the encryption
feature on some Tables, AND IF you have lost the Encryption Key, AND IF you
have forgotten the PassPhrase, then there is nothing we can do for you, for the
encryption is an actual strong encryption. In other cases, we have always been
able to help recovering data.

> It doesn’t matter what algorithm and/or encryption is used by 4D to realise
> that “New WEDD” function, disturbing is , that 4D did not inform the
> developer community in detail about those changes.
There is no mystery about changing old resources into new ways, and we cannot
tell developers in detail every minor changes made in 4D since V11, for there
are too many.

HTH,

My very best,

JPR

"Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum" (Seneca)