We have been having major thuderstorms on the Islands these last couple of
days, and after a second power outage at one of my client sites their database
had to be recovered from backup. I had problems with the log file, but
eventually got it back up and the log file integrated.

In the process I noticed that one of the tables with 52k records and many
indeed fields, was taking a very long time to index each field. This particular
table takes over 3  minutes to reindex each indexed field.   I have other
tables with over 250k records and close to as many index fields where the whole
table is reindexed in less than a minute.

These fields are mostly long int, with a number of alpha and boolean field
thrown into the mix. All seem to take about the same amount of time to index.

As it is what probably should only take about 15 to 20 mins to go through the
reindexing process, is taking well over an hour. All of the field’s indexing
method are set to Automatic.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to speed them up short of unindexing
some of them? Are different indexing methods faster than others?

Thanks,

John

John Baughman
Kailua, Hawaii