you have 2, maybe 3 choices
- you can distribute with a folder which contains the .app and a
separate datafile (or folder) --my preference
- you can distribute a .app package with everything inside. Then manage
the updates yourself, distribute an update application which will reach
inside the existing package, copy in a new structure and leave the old
data alone.
- you might be able to do this more easily with 4D's update system,
BUT, i have not used so I have no idea.

in either of the all inside the package distributions you (your user)
will need to worry about backups in case of equipment failure. many
people (my self included) do not, in general, backup the application
folder. If your .app package is in the application folder (c:/program
folder) it is likely to NOT be part of a backup plan. You will/should
need to be very proactive about getting your users to create backups.

Chip

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 16:25:33 -0500, Paul Ringsmuth via 4D_Tech wrote:

> But sometimes there will be updates and the old data should be used.
> The everything in one package becomes problematic because it is too
> hard for the user to deal with the data files.
We have done so much, with so little, for so long;
We are now qualified to anything with nothing <sigh>
  - unknown