Carl,
Are you aware that once you point a 4D Database to a datafile - it
remembers that data file?
So...
Open database
 -> where is my data file
Point database to data file
-> OK I'm happy!
startup completes.

You never have to do this again, unless you want to change data files.

Chip

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 21:29:17 +0100, wangel--- via 4D_Tech wrote:
> Thanks for your response Jeremy. You have made it clear to me that
> OPEN DATA FILE first closes the database and then reopen it with the
> wanted datafile and then repeat that unless something stops it. I
> tried with $dataPath:="" which obviously was not a particularly
> brilliant idea.
> I think I shall incorporate a Default.4DD file and try it from there.
> Regards
> Carl
>

>> From: Jeremy Roussak <j...@mac.com>
>> To: 4D iNug Technical <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
>> Cc: wan...@online.no
>> Subject: Re: OPEN DATA FILE gets endless loop
>
>> Carl,
>
>> I hesitate to suggest something quite so obvious, but it seems to me
>> that each time you enter the On Startup method, you
>
>> 1. Set $dataPath to a path
>> 2. Test $dataPath is “”, which of course it isn’t 3. Open a data
>> file 4. Set $dataPath to “” (effectively pointless) 5. Re-enter On
>> startup when the new data file opens 6. Go to step 1; hence your loop
>
>> From the OPEN DATA FILE documentation:
>
>> If the access path sets a valid data file, 4D quits the database in
>> progress and re-opens it with the specified data file. In
>> single-user mode, the Semaphore
>> <file:///4Dv17/4D/17/Semaphore.301-3730607.en.html> >and the On
>> Startup database method
>> <file:///4Dv17/4D/17/On-Startup-database-method.301-3730029.en.html>
>> are successively called.
>> Warning: Since this command causes the application to quit before
>> re-opening with the specified data file, it must be used with
>> precaution in the On Startup database method
>> <>file:///4Dv17/4D/17/On-Startup->database-method.301-3730029.en.html>
>> or in a method called by this database method, so as to avoid
>> generating an infinite loop.
>
>> Jeremy

We have done so much, with so little, for so long;
We are now qualified to anything with nothing <sigh>
  - unknown