Richard,

Just a few thoughts:

This is a topic that is very near and dear to me.
I don't have it completely handled yet, but getting close.
More and more organizations are running cyber scans and getting very, very
picky about things

RE: If I understand things correctly, the outside world only has access to
static pages in the web folder and everything else goes through On Web
Connection and it has to pass through On Web Authentication first.

The above  is not quite true

If you have a "Web" folder, that is published by 4D, and you have a file in
that folder:  foobar.html
Someone from the outside can access it without going through on web connection:
 http://myweb/foobar.html

Many people are recommending a "decoy" web folder, and then putting the real
McCoy into another folder (outside of the web folder) that gets accessed
programmatically.  In our case, I'm loading the contents of the file, running
PROCESS 4D TAGS, and then publishing using WEB SEND BLOB.  This keeps someone's
little mits off of the actual file.

But this is not enough in many cases with cyber security depts these days.
I'm in the process of building a faux "Web Application Firewall" in 4D, that
runs in the ON WEB AUTHENTICATION method.

Using a 3rd party like Cloudflare can handle some of these items, e.g. DDOS
attacks and some of the Firewall stuff.
As well, you can put something like Apache or NGINIX in front of your 4D App,
and configure the Web Firewall there.
However many cyber security depts want to know that your web app is secure
without 3rd party stuff.

Currently I'm working on building a "White List" of any possbile URLs to our
web app.
If it ain't in the White List, it doesn't get past ON WEB AUTHENTICATION.
I just have to be careful to make sure that I add any new URLs to the White
list.

These are just a few items that I'm trying, don't know how the next cyber scan
will turn out.
😉
There are many other 4D folks who can chime in here as well.

Randy Engle