We ended up having to go to the R5 release to get some of the issues fixed.
There were a number of bugs with 4D write pro and object data types in ORDA
that are fixed in R5. I also encountered some horrid speed issues in 17.3. If
you are not on Gig ethernet it was taking upwards on 1 minute to open some
records. Where under 16 it would take 15 seconds. I found that the way 17 was
doing things was running huge amounts of data over the network. I had to do
MAJOR reforming of my code to use ORDA and workers to solve the problem. Mostly
by hiding the work in a worker that would update the results once an answer was
rendered. I also had to rebuild my main record list to minimize the traffic for
he query and user ORDA to move the queries to the server for processing and
only send the resulting collection to the client.

        In R4 this was still painful. But under R5 they added some client
server optimizations to help a lot with speed the the amount of data
transferred.

        I was seeing these issues with Mojave, High Sierra and Catalina. But I
have seen a number of issues with code signing striking under Catalina.
Specifically some of the 4D plugins are not code signed and Catalina does not
want to load them, instead it wants to throw them in the trash.