I do not have any insider knowledge on this particular point,
but I would assume that the runtime simply ignores the instruction and return
all entities if the collection is empty (length=0),
since the condition is the inverse of a "false" statement.

matching an empty string is a different equation.
any string of any length that matches an empty string according to unicode
collation for the current locale rules is a match.
control characters, non characters, etc. that are not identical to "" can still
be equivalent to "".
such entities must be removed from the resulting entity selection in this case
because of the "NOT".