On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 9:14 PM Douglas von Roeder <dvonroe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Peter:
>
>  "My understanding of a worker is a process that can (potentially) run on
> different core or processor - what means, communicating with other
> processes with messages only, limited ability to share data, no
> interprocess variables, no GET / SET PROCESS VARIABLE and no UI.”
> I don’t see anything that indicates that the means by which a process is
> created impacts whether or not that process runs preemptively. Most UI
> commands are not preemptive.

I believe that above commands cannot be used with workers even if worker
does not run preemptive method.

> "However, thinking about it, as user process is a worker, and it should be
> able to display UI, collaborative workers may be able to display UI.”
> Process 1 will display UI in V18, compiled.
>
> "But all 4D examples of worker's code use CALL FORM to display UI, so I
> would not try to display UI from a worker."
> Call form is a means of communicating with a form. It doesn’t tie back to
> how a process is invoked.

In the examples, worker never displays UI, rather uses CALL FORM to display
its status in form displayed in another process. As I understand it, it is
not just because examples wanted to demonstrate communication between
worker and another process, but a feature of worker - it needs another
process to display UI. But will try to do a simple test database to check
it out.

Peter Bozek