On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:12 PM Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> > traversed. That make a perfect sense for foreign key indexes - when
> > 1-record, you have immediately a selection of N-records available, and
> you
> > (almost) never do a search for range of foreign keys (with UUID keys,
> such
> > search would not make any sense.)
>
> Many years ago at a 4D Summit I remember someone asking Laurent a question
> of how Cluster B-Tree indexes were implemented. He gave a fairly detailed
> answer.
>
> Cluster B-Tree indexes are a B-Tree index, but there is only 1 node for
> each index value. The data in the node can be several different things.
>
> - It could be a reference to a single record like you would have in a
> traditional B-Tree index. It’s just a record number.

From this it seems that Cluster index is an improved  standard index,
reverting back to record-per-leaf standard B-tree in case of unique values.
I would almost say that this should be the default setting for all indexes,
as it does not seems to have any drawbacks.

Did LR said why we should use the standard index at all?

--

Peter Bozek