Chuck,
by default
4D uses 1 IP address but at least 3 ports
- 4D (client/server default) 19813
- SQL 19812
- web service 80, and 443 for HTTPS
- PHP 127.0.0.1: 8002

it may be that you have (or there are) multiple 4D servers running (on the same
machine)
which would require changing the default ports for at least one of them, and
the clients would need to specify the port to connect.

4D server A is on default ports
4D server B could be on any other port number and +1 for SQL

as for IP addresses
each NIC (Network Interface Card) can have an IP address.
most modern computers have multiple ways of connecting to a network.
Ethernet and WiFi are 2 most popular.
on a Mac thoughtcrimes you can also have Thunderbolt, Firewire, Bluetooth,
possibly NFS (Near field), and other options are possible as external add ons.

Each of these network connection options (if they are available and ON) can get
an IP address.

Since you said this is a Mac, and the server is in an enterprise environment
the likely cause of IP address confusion is:
<drum roll please>  :)

WiFI   AND    Ethernet both being on and connected.

If there is an ethernet connection (most likely) and wifi is on then the
computer will have 2 IP addresses.
It is possible that power testing causes one or the other network connection to
drop.
- Ethernet
        - the switch/router for the floor/subnet/room/building (as appropriate)
goes down with the power (i.e. the battery back up for it has failed (or was
never setup). This is an Enterprise IT issue
- WIfi
        - the wifi router, or one or more extenders goes down with the power
outage, again, this is an Enterprise IT issue.

The simple solution (if this is the problem)
-- if the server is supposed to connect via Ethernet -- turn OFF WiFi.  System
Preference : Network : select WiFi from the list, click the button labels 'Turn
WiFi Off'.
-- if the server is supposed to connect via Wifi (?!?!?!), disconnect the
ethernet cable.

Chip

> OK I guess some more info may help. It seems that if I have a server
> that I run at client with their IP address scheme and then run same
> structure on server in my office it shows as broadcasting on more
> than one IP address. So the question now is where does 4D get IP
> address to show on the server admin window? I think this might be
> part of the problem. I am going to post this on the new forum as well
> with some screen shots
>
> Regards
>
> Chuck
>  Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
>  Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
>  mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
>  Brookline, MA 02446 USA Registered 4D Developer
>        Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
>           http://www.informed-solutions.com
> This message and any attached documents contain information which may
> be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
> intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
> transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution,
> disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of
> any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly
> prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the
> intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such
> confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this
> communication.
>
>> On Jun 4, 2020, at 7:20 AM, Chuck Miller via 4D_Tech
>> <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for input. I will address each below your response
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jun 4, 2020, at 1:44 AM, Chip Scheide <4d_o...@pghrepository.org
>>> <mailto:4d_o...@pghrepository.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chuck,
>>> There are 2 ways to resolve this, and using both is probably best.
>>> (following assumes DHCP)
>>>
>>> 1 - put a battery on the computer (server) so that when power goes
>>> down during tests the computer does not turn off.
>>> 1a - if this is already the case (it should be if it is a server)
>>> and IP addresses are being changed on the server then there is a
>>> switch in the network who's battery has failed - and Enterprise IT
>>> should track it and fix it ( might need to enter a ticket)
>>>
>> There is a UPS. Indeed the machine and server never went down
>>

>>> 2 - talk with the IT/network people, give them the server's MAC ID
>>> (network card ID) and request a fixed IP address server through
>>> DHCP
>>> Notes on #2 : the network admin can assign a specified IP address
>>> to a specific MAC address, which is assigned via DHCP, then
>>> regardless of power outage, server reboot, etc and generally the
>>> time off the network, the IP address of the computer does not
>>> change.
>> This is the setup. Indeed the IP is manual.
>>>
>>> and BTW
> [...]
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
                (bits and pieces) of Dylan Thomas
New Forum: https://discuss.4D.com