David,
I invite you to check out the new 4D forum at https://discuss.4d.com/
It's a huge improvement over the old forum and this list. Plus a lot more
people are active there.

But to your point Tom and Randy are both giving you solid advice. I will
add that my experience with 4D server is the one place I recommend a
Windows machine over Mac hands down. They are seriously faster. Just are.
And much more bang for the buck. You don't need an expensive Windows Server
license if it is only running 4D. Win 10 Pro will give you everything you
need.

It sounds like this is installed in an office and the Mac Mini is only
running 4D (8 gigs of RAM is not very much). You didn't say which version
of 4D which is important. Also whether you are using the web server which
increases the RAM you want.

64 bit requires roughly twice as much RAM as 32 bit on the machines and
within 4D. If your code has been updated and kept up all the calls to start
new processes are probably using 0 as the default stack size - which let's
4D set the stack size and adjusts for the operating environment. If not
it's using some number that was probably set before 64 bit was a thing and
it's way too small.

If you buy a new Mac you will get Catalina which means you WILL run 64 bit.
Apple is announcing something next week. Speaking as someone who bought one
of the new-cool touch bar MBPs in 2016 (and it's been a truly crappy
machine) you don't want to be one of the first to get a Mac Mini with the
new hardware for a business critical application like this. Plus, if you
need to continue to run 32 bit

Finally I see you have an SSD RAID. I'm curious about that. Typically I'll
use a mirrored SSD for the primary drive and have some large mirrored hard
disk to use for things like backups. I'm curious how you all decided to use
that much of a RAID on a Mac Mini?

Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA
New Forum: https://discuss.4D.com