On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:47:03AM +0100, Robert McWilliam wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 11:58 PM, Robert McWilliam wrote:
> > I have 10 10W LEDs and a power supply that can drive them. Calum has
> > volunteered to source appropriate switches and a box for to put them in
> > and we have plans to wire that up and have much light available (the
> > same as the 100W LED but from 10 points rather than 1).
>
> I did some playing with a couple of the LEDs last night. These are eBay
> rated 10W LEDs that actually max out at about 3W, but at that power
> they're a bit unstable and some of the array switches on and off
> annoyingly. Running them at about 1.5W they look to be prefectly stable
> so I'm now targeting that.
>
> Looking at the amount of light they kick out running in that set up I
> still think they're useful.  One advantage of being much lower power
> than originally claimed is that there is no need to worry about the
> heat: I left one on for more than an hour yesterday with only the flat
> thin metal permanent heatsink and it only got to 30°C (I did some
> playing with wrapping it in paper to see if reducing airflow
> possibilities would make a difference - it didn't).

That sounds good, how are you planning on mounting them? Do you think they
could be mounted in the corner of a ceiling tile? The metal frame that the
tiles sit in could act as a further heat sink.

> Because this was looking like a project that wouldn't involve any coding
> I have tagged on some plans to make a stupidly complex control system.
> The plan now has a switch and relay for each LED so that they can be
> switched by either, wire the relays to an arduino along with some
> sensing of what position the toggle switches are in and then make a web
> page on doorbot that can control the lights. We could also put some
> intelligence in there to have automatic lights...

While you are devising this you could incorporate the EL wire I put in the door
yesterday? The current set up isn't ideal, it wont be long before someone
leaves it on and we come back to a dead sign.

> Robert
> --
> Robert McWilliam      r...@allmail.net    www.ormiret.com
>
> Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
> Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.

Tom
@adventureloop
adventurist.me

:wq