Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Robin Gareus wrote:
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> To chose by click between 'Ondemand' and 'Performance' for a user
>>> session by using the GNOME panel applet 'CPU Frequency Scaling
>>> Monitor' seems to require it. There might be a better way to do it.
>>>

>> Just let it ask for a password ;)
>>
>> I never switch these anyway. Just using 'ondemand' is sufficient. It's
>> got the best powersaving and no impact on performance (at least not on
>> Intel CPUs).
>>
>> my 2c,
>> robin
>>
>> PS. Since you asked earlier: http://www.lesswatts.org provides some good
>> information.
>>

> I have a problem with CPU load, when working with real-time
> applications, so I guess for real-time 'ondemand' will be the same like
> 'performance'.
not necessarily.  even with JACK running in real-time the 'ondemand
governor' here scales down to 1GHz and there are no x-runs.
Firing up fi. jammin (which uses a lot of CPU) makes it jump to max. CPU
freq. for ~10% of the time. (check `powertop`).

> For other distros CPU freq scaling runs OOB,
debian squeeze/sid here. worked OOB.

> but making hard disks sleep  is a PITA on Linux,
indeed.
> hdparm doesn't work on many machines, so the hard
> disks are running all the time, even if I only need one of two devices.

It's not only hdparam but also the 'noatime' mount option,
/proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs (or /etc/sysctl.conf) and ext3's
journal_data_writeback option (`man tune2fs`).
..and beware: in case of power-loss it can be dangerous to have fiddled
with those!!!

I'm not sure if /etc/hdparm.conf accepts wildcards, but I'd hazard a
guess that
/dev/discs/disc*/disc {
       spindown_time = 240
}
may be a good default for 64studio.

> It's written that Intel can't scale each core of a CPU independently,
> AMDs should be better, because they are able to scale each core
> individually. My "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350" is
> specified to have a load of 45W.

With wifi disabled and lowest screen-brightness but jackd running
(causes lots of CPU wakeups) this Thinkpad X60s here uses 10.1 Watts.

> Thank you, I'll take a look at lesswatts.org later. Right now I'm
> reflecting if I should give Steinberg 'my personal data sheet', to get
> the VST headers, or if I should search for a side, that makes them
> available, even if it might be illegal.

a bit off-topic, but last time I looked (~2 years ago) the SDK was
available for free.

> I know there are some Linux
> people doing it. I guess I'll give Steinberg my 'life' and right after
> downloading the SDK stuff I'll 'revoke my consent' or I'll fake my
> birthday and telephone number ... strange people, name and address would
> be okay, but all the rest?!
> Ralf

I don't remember if I gave them my correct information. It might have
been a spam.la address ;)

cheers,
robin