Yatch,

About :

*Why does the node have to issue a 6P CLEAR to a neighbor which is
determined to be unreachable...? It just wastes time and energy of the
initiator since this transaction will fail as the draft mentioned. I think
it'd be fine to remove all the dedicated cells to the unreachable neighbor
without 6P CLEAR. By the way, the term "cells" should be used instead of
"links".*

I would recommend to use a MAY in this case. That is, a node MUST remove
cells, and MAY send a CLEAR.

Thomas

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:28 AM, Xavi Vilajosana Guillen <
xvilajos...@uoc.edu> wrote:

> Dear Yatch,
>
> thanks for your comments! see inline my answers.

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to share my comments on draft-chang-6tisch-msf-00:
>>
>>    https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chang-6tisch-msf-00
>>
>> The first one is about 6P CLEAR after detecting unreachability to a
>> neighbor.
>>
>> > 3.8.  Step 7 - Neighbor Polling
>> >
>> > (snip)
>> >
>> >    When a neighbor is declared unreachable, the node MUST issue a 6P
>> >    CLEAR to that neighbor (which can fail at the link-layer), and MUST
>> >    remove all dedicated links with that neighbor from its own schedule.
>>

>> Why does the node have to issue a 6P CLEAR to a neighbor which is
>> determined to be unreachable...? It just wastes time and energy of the
>> initiator since this transaction will fail as the draft mentioned. I think
>> it'd be fine to remove all the dedicated cells to the unreachable neighbor
>> without 6P CLEAR. By the way, the term "cells" should be used instead of
>> "links".
>>

> XV> I agree. A node can directly reset its schedule. We will change that
> sentence.
>

>> Other comments are trivial.
>>
>> > 1.  Introduction
>> >
>> > (snip)
>> >
>> >    MSF is designed to operate in a wide range of application domains.
>> >    It is optimized for applications with regular upstream traffic (from
>> >    the nodes to the Internet).
>>
>> "The internet" sounds too specific. "From the nodes toward the root"
>> would be better?
>>

> XV>> Agree.
>

>> > 2.  Interface to the Minimal 6TiSCH Configuration
>> >
>> > (snip)
>> >
>> >    MSF uses the minimal cell to exchange the following packets:

>> >    4.  The first 6P packet a node issues to a neighbor it doesn't have
>> >        dedicated cells to, as defined by
>> >        [I-D.ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol].  These are unicast frames.
>>
>> The minimal cell is used for not only the first 6P packet but also
>> subsequent packets associated with a 6P transaction initiated by the first
>> packet. In this sense, I'd like to propose to replace it with:
>>
>>    6P packets to schedule the first dedicated cell with a neighbor. There
>> are unicast frames.
>>

> XV>> Agree.
>

>> > 7.  Rules for CellList
>> >

>> >    MSF uses 2-step 6P Transactions exclusively.  6P Transactions are
>> >    only initiated by a node towards it preferred parent.  As a result,
>> >    the cells to put in the CellList of a 6P ADD command, and in the
>> >    candidate CellList of a RELOCATE command, are chosen by the node.  In
>> >    both cases, the same rules apply:
>> >
>> >       the CellList SHOULD contain 5 or more cells.
>> >       Each cell in the CellList MUST have a different slotOffset value.
>> >       For each cell in the CellList, the node MUST NOT have any
>> >       scheduled cell on the same slotOffset.
>> >       The slotOffset value of any cell in the CellList MUST NOT be the
>> >       same as the slotOffset of the minimal cell (slotOffset=0).
> [...]

Thomas Watteyne, PhD
Research Scientist & Innovator, Inria
Sr Networking Design Eng, Analog Devices
Founder & co-lead, UC Berkeley OpenWSN
Co-chair, IETF 6TiSCH

www.thomaswatteyne.com