>> the VIA machine is the one that got me lots of trouble
>> with the
>> SATA until i hacked a bruteforce retry-n-reset-loop in the ide driver,
>
> Me too.  Maybe one of us should submit a patch?

is this one of the via chipsets that may also be driven as ahci?

ahci should show up with class/subclass/ccrp as 01.06.01.  as in:
x.y.z:  disk 01.06.01 vid/did  11 0:x 16 1:x 16 2:x 16 3:x 16 4:x 16 5:y != 0
1024 (or bigger)

i was just taking a look at the linux driver and it looks like
nvidia and sis should just work.  (anybody with such hardware care to
test?) there were just a couple of tweeks that the linux guys felt
necessary with via, but i didn't look carefully enough to see of they
apply to the plan 9 driver, as i have no hardware.