On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Philip Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> you either remove the cdrom from the virtual machine or make it to
>> emulate scsi.
>> if you're iso is more than 2 days old, you'll have to do
>> % echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl
>> to get vga working well.
> I see, well I removed the cdrom. But when installing plan9 I entered ega (or
> was it cga?!) in order to not start rio. Maybe I should just run through the
> installation process again - which is extremely slow here.

VMware is the fastest PC emulator i ever run.

> Anyways, text mode now works fine, but when I'm changing /dev/vgactl
> with "echo type vesa > /dev/vgactl" and "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl"

only "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" should be sufficient

> after a reboot the file turns out to be the old one looking like this:
> type cga
> bland time 30 idle 0 state on
> hwaccel on
> hwblank off
> panning off
> addr p 0x0 v 0x0 size 0x0
>
> BTW: When I enter "echo type vga > /dev/vgactl" i get
> echo: write error: bad VGA control message "type vga". And it seems that
> I cannot edit the file with ed.
>
> Philip Silva

1. create virtual machine
2. boot from CD
3. if your graphics isn't readable, create with mouse new window and
type "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" + Enter, "exit" + Enter
4. screen will not refresh immediately, but you can type Enter and
prompt will be refreshed
5. go on with installation
6. after that, before you reboot, edit your VMware configuration file
(*.vmx) and change    ide1:0.present = "TRUE"    to false.
   (I suppose ide1:0 is your cd-rom)
7. save and boot

Here is my VMware config file (you could change ethernet connection
type to bridge or whatever you use), maybe it helps you:

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "6"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

displayName = "Monty"

extendedConfigFile = "Monty.vmxf"

guestOS = "other"

memsize = "256"

numvcpus = "2"

nvram = "Monty.nvram"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Monty.vmdk"
ide0:0.redo = ""

ide1:0.present = "FALSE"
ide1:0.fileName = "..\plan9.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:14:4b:0a"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
ethernet0.connectionType = "custom"
ethernet0.vnet="VMnet1"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"
tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"

logging = "FALSE"

uuid.location = "56 4d fe 9e 4d 1f ee a5-09 ec c7 eb 59 da e6 09"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 01 b5 ac 72 1c dd-02 da c4 2a 37 14 4b 0a"