> Also, if you do create a Plan 9 partition and
> then prep it to make subpartitions (you'd have
> to use 9vx, copying the binaries from sources),
> then p9p venti can handle those partition names
> too: /dev/sda1:arenas assuming /dev/sda1 is a
> Plan 9 fdisk partition containing a subpartition
> named arenas.

So here's what I ended up with.  I installed 9vx on
the machine and used that to partition the big
drive: one fairly big partition with 4 subpartitions
for the 4 arena disks already on the machine. The
p9p mirrorarenas didn't like the partition name
notation.  It calls initpart which calls parsepart
which seems to only like the numeric range notation.
But running the Plan 9 mirrorarenas in 9vx works
just fine.  So I'm pretty much where I want to be
for now.

Thanks,
BLS