i was able to get Rangboom snsa -- which uses code from Russ' 9pfuse
-- to work with macfuse 1.7 (on os x 10.4.x).  the latest 9pfuse has
the patch sqweek sent for xattr; i wonder if that's the problem?

it's depressing to see that Finder acts as demented as Explorer with
incessant directory traversal.