On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Wendell xe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My nutshell evaluation of Acme is that it is for systems-level coding in C on
> modest-sized projects. It seems very well designed for that purpose but
> quickly becomes awkward as you move away. It is definitely not suited to
> working with Java or Lisp,

 I used to feel much the same. Then I went back to coding java at
work, fired up eclipse and was like "... where's my chording? :( :(".
I had to whip up a plumbing rule so I could button 3 stack traces, but
after that it was pretty comfortable. I keep switching between them
now, generally using eclipse for browsing existing code or when using
a lot of interfaces that I'm not familiar with (function completion =
lazy way out), and acme when I want to view files side by side
(eclipse's "window management" can bite me) or when eclipse annoys me
too much with its highlights and tooltips and ctrl-w closing the
window and automatic paren balancing and popups and underlines and
FUCK OFF I KNOW THE FUNCTION NEEDS TO RETURN A BOOLEAN I'M HALFWAY
THROUGH DEFINING IT GIVE ME A CHANCE JEEZE. ...which is somewhat
often.

> or navigating large directories.

 Hm, why is acme particularly bad at this? I know I sigh every time I
open my home directory in p9p acme because it's full to the brim with
.foo .bar .qux .etc, the trick is just to know what you're looking for
and type it in instead of trying to find it.

> Finally, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of interest in controlling fonts.
> My usual coding font is 12 pt. Dina or Terminus. But if my eyes are really
> tired, I might switch to 16 pt. Monaco. On the other hand, I sometimes use 8
> pt. ProFont to better get an overview. I would think even Plan 9 hackers
> would appreciate being able to quickly shift around like that.

 That surprises me, to be honest. Most people I know find a font they
like and stick with it.
-sqweek