> aha, I didn't understand what "bootes" was for. In any case, when I
> first booted the cpu/auth server, I was asked for authid (is this the
> same as the hostid you mention?), authdom (I don't get to what this
> domain applies, incoming requests to the auth server?) secstore key
> (dunno) and password.

sorry, my bad

authid
        This is  the username used for the owner of the auth server, by
convention "bootes"

authdom is the name of the adminstrative domain that authentication will be
performed in
                usually this is just your DNS domain name, but you could have

                        usa-east.domain.dom
                        china-north.domain.dom
                        sales.domain.dom
                        finance.domain.dom

                so each group gets its own auth server which are and each have
                their own adminstrator. there are also good RTT reasons for
having
                geographicially local auth servers.

> until now I just have a terminal with venti. $service says "terminal",
> it asks me for an user on boot (and has a local glenda user)... From
> the docs, isn't it supposed to be unusable from the console? Or this
> is just a relic and now any system can be a file server?

venti is an archival server, you must be using fossil and venti
you could just use fossil on its own but never venti alonw </pedant>

The fact that it is prompting for a user means you are running a terminal
kernel rather than a cpu server kernel. The kernels are the same, they just
boot differently and the cpu kernel has different drivers (e.g. no vga).

just to be absolutely clear, a terminal and cpu server are almost the same
thing,
though different files boot. an auth server and a cpu server are cpu serevrs
with different progs running on them. you can even have a terminal which runs
as a cpu server, auth server, and file server (I have one in front of me now).

you can log in as glenda and you can use a character interface (which is
what I think you mean by console), but usually rio (the window manager)
is started in your login script and you work from there. Rio does the interrupt
processing so no rio means no way to stop long running commands.

> I guess this is accomplished with "fossil/conf –w /dev/sdC0/fossil", right?

yep, this writes the config, without the -w it reads it.

Sounds like you understand quite well really, I think you
are further up the learning curve than you think.

-Steve