On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Well, they do have a branch called "MicroSoft Research" that they seem
> fond of putting money into.  And apparently, a portion of that has
> gone into making an Inferno/Plan 9 -equivalent, thus far dubbed, "MS
> Singularity".  Development has been going on for quite some time, it
> seems.  Think it'll outweigh what we have going with Plan 9?

This is unfair for two reasons.  First, Microsoft Research does
interesting research.  Second, Singularity is a far cry from being
the same as Inferno or Plan 9.  It's an operating system, but that's
the only real similarity.  I suppose it uses a bytecode execution
engine too, but that doesn't automatically make it like Inferno.
They're very different and enabled very different research.

Read the papers here and here
http://research.microsoft.com/os/Singularity/
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/
and then tell me why they are "equivalent".

Russ