On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 17:30 +0000, Brian L. Stuart wrote:
> > information can't leak in principle, but root scores are dangerous, which
> > is why open-access venti servers are problematic - if such a score
> > *does* happen to leak, then unconditional access to all your data has
> > also leaked.
>
> If I understand correctly, this line of discussion
> is primarily motivated by the idea of an open-access
> venti server.

Correct. But with this caveat: I only care about
the blocks that are part of vac structures. Erik
keeps reminding us that venti doesn't care about
what's in the blocks. True. But now, I've drawn
a line. There's only one type of blocks that
I'm interested in -- blocks which are part of
vac structures.

> The venti itself doesn't need to be open-
> access if there's a proxy server that is.

Absolutely!

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem we're trying
> to solve, but if the objective is to provide open
> venti access but the necessary protection mechanisms
> really belong elsewhere, it seems reasonable to
> create the elsewhere and not incorporate them into
> venti.

Looks like we're in a complete agreement. And thanks
for the summary!

Thanks,
Roman.