> Where does all this fancy stuff belong?  In the storage medium,
> in the HBA, in the device driver, in the file system, or in the
> application?

In a very intelligent cache?  Or did you mention that above and in my
ignorance I missed it?

OK, let's try this:

. Storage medium: only the hardware developers have access to that and
  they have never seemed interested in matching anyone else's
  requirements or suggestions.

. The HBA (?).  If that's the device adapter, the same applies as
  above.

. The device driver should not be very complex and the block handling
  should hopefully be shared by more than one device driver, which
  with the effective demise of Streams is not a very easy thing to
  implement without resorting to jumping through flaming hoops.

. The application?  That's being facetious, surely?

. A cache?  As quanstro pointed out, flash makes a wonderful WORM.
  Now to get Fossil to work as originally intended, or a more suitable
  design and implementation to take its place in this role and we have
  a winner.

++L