I don't know if others have already hit this kind of problematic, but I
was dealing with a fair amount of C code, usable both as a library and
accessible by a shell. Plus debugging needs. So I was, again and again,
writing a wrapper to access a C function from the shell.

So I ended concluding that I needed a kind of C interpreter as a shell.

(I have an implementation, but it is not pure C---sentential calculus is
distinct; it's a 4 values logic (NONSENSE, TRUE, FALSE, UNDECIDABLE)
that has already real application in geometrical calculus; and integer
and real calculus is added too for mathematical tasks---but it is not
ready for prime time and I have still unanswered questions for special
things I want to be present.)

typedef, i.e. the ability to define other types above primary ones is
perhaps what you are looking for?

ISTR that on the early PCees, there was a basic interpreter in BIOS to
let you play with the almost bare machine. I'd like to have a shell that
lets me play with the bare OS.
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/