> > if the problem with 9p is latency, then here's a decision that could be
> > revisisted.  it would be a complication, but it seems to me better than
> > a http-like protocol, bundling requets together or moving to a storage-
> > oriented protocol.
>
> Can you explain why is it better than bundling requests
> together?  Bundling requests can cut out a few roundtrip
> delays, which can make a big difference for small files.
> What you are talking about seems useful for large files [if I
> understand you correctly].  Second, 9p doesn't seem to
> restrict any replies other than Rflushes to be sent in order.
> That means the server can still send Rreads in any order but
> if a Tflush is seen, it must clean up properly.  The
> situation is analogous what happens in an an OoO processor
> (where results must be discarded in case of exceptions and
> mis-prediction on branches).

bundling is equivalent to running the original sequence on
the remote machine and shipping only the result back.  some
rtt latency is eliminated but i think things will still be largely
in-order because walks will act like fences.  i think the lots-
of-small-files case will still suffer.  maybe i'm not quite following
along.

bundling will also require additional agent on the server to
marshal the bundled requests.