> I was one of those people, and I must say, the sd drivers work great and seem
> to offer a degree of flexibility that the "stock" driver does not.
> Why not just incorporate them into the "official" distribution?

i'm glad it works for you.  thanks for the feedback.  i appreciate
all feedback good or bad.  and it is invaluable, since i have a
limited amount of hardware.  as far as i know right now, there
aren't any regressions from the distribution.

the contrib sd stuff was done to satisfy my need for raw ata commands,
and to incorporate a wierd new driver that does ata, packet io ata
and sas, depending on what kind of drive you plug in.  then it was
easier to make bug fixes to my version.

unfortunately, i didn't do the coordination i should have due to
time pressure.  so, now the problem for me is convincing folks that
(a) updating sd is a good idea and (b) my updates are the right ones.
i'm optimistic this will happen, but it may take some time.