I googled around and haven't found anything, but I notice there is a file /sys/src/cmd/aux/searchfs.c, and a corresponding binary aux/ searchfs. The code doesn't seem to explain what it does very well but it piqued my curiosity.

What's this do and how is it intended to be used? I don't know exactly what it wants for a database; I tried using /lib/words and it didn't blow up but I'm not sure that's what it needs. I found the /search file will accept strings like 'search=word' but it doesn't seem to have an effect in the filesystem, nor does reading from it produce anything.

Any pointers on how to use this? Or is it defunct or some kind of dead end?

Thanks,

—
Daniel Lyons